4 channel temperature meter and data-logger kit for use with Dallas DS18S20 high precision 1-wire digital thermometer sensors. The temperature data, in degrees C or F, is output as a continuous data stream over an RS232 serial port. The board uses a pre-programmed microcontroller and can read up to four DS18S20 digital thermometers. One sensor is included. More can be purchased separately from us (Order Code DS18S20).
The DS18S20 has an operating temperature range of -55°C to +125°C and is accurate to +/- 0.5°C over the range of -10°C to +85°C. The sensors can be mounted up to 200 metres away from the logger.
No external power is required (the module is powered from the serial port).
The output data is a continuous stream in simple text format (sensor number followed by temperature reading to 2 decimal places). Simply capture the data to a text file and then import it into Excel to produce tables and charts of temperature readings over time.
The users can tailor the input data stream to suit their purpose - it may be dumped into an Excel spreadsheet, or they can write BASIC programs using the INPUT command to grab the readings.
As you can see from the pictures there is not much to the hardware (the PCB is just 45x45mm) and most of the work is done by the PIC.
NB This product will not work with DS18B20 version sensors.Application Ideas
This board is an ideal use for old computers - continuous temperature data logging. A few ideas of how this circuit can be used as given below (additional equipment/software may be required).
1.NEW! - Temperature Logger for Windows
2. You can use Windows HyperTerminal or term.exe our no-frills terminal program to see the data on the screen. Just run 'term 2400' (and you may have to press Esc to start the display.) The raw temperature data will display on the screen.
3. Or you can use the original software software developed for the board. tsl11win.zip for Microsoft Windows. Tested on Microsoft Windows 95/98SE/XP/W7.
4. tsl11dos.zip for FreeDOS or MS-DOS. Tested on MS-DOS 4.00.950 on a 386/25
5. tsl-1.2.tar.gz source code for all three versions above. Use this version on Linux.
6. gtsl-0.1.tar.gz for Linux, tested on Red Hat Linux V6.1, with GTK+ V1.2.6.
Other software options are supplied with the product.